Shortbread chocolate chip cookies
February 22, 2021
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces/170 grams semisweet or bittersweet dark chocolate chips or chunks
- Flaky sea salt for sprinkling
- Using an electric hand mixer, beat the butter, both sugars, and vanilla on medium-high till it’s super light and fluffy.
- Using a spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl and, with the mixer on low, slowly add the flour, followed by the chocolate chunks, and mix to blend.
- If necessary, knead the dough with your hands to make sure the flour is incorporated. At this point, the dough should be smooth and feel like Play-Doh with no pockets of flour.
- Place dough on a large piece of plastic wrap. Fold the plastic Using your hands, form the dough into a log shape; rolling it on the counter will help you smooth it out.
- Chill until firm, about 2 hours.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a serrated knife, carefully slice each log into ½-inch-thick rounds.
- Place them on the prepared baking sheets about 1 inch apart. Sprinkle with flaky salt.
- Bake until the edges are just beginning to brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before eating them.