March 29, 2021
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, 1/2 grated, 1/2 sliced
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, like Tony Chachere
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese, or 4 slices
- 4 sweet Hawaiian onion buns
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons diced pickle, more if desired
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons favorite hot sauce
- Combine beef with grated onion, cajun seasoning, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix only until combined, do not overmix or the burgers will be tough.
- Form 4 patties out of the burgers and make a shallow intent the middle of your patty, this will prevent it from puffing up in the middle.
- Heat a cast iron pan over high heat, add a little oil into the hot pan and cook the burgers about 4- 6 minutes on each side.
- Add the onions and mushrooms into the pan during the last minute or so and allow the accumulated juices to cook the onions and mushrooms.
- Remove the patties from the pan once they are done cooking and continue cooking the onions and mushrooms until the onions are caramelized, about 4- 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach into the pan with onions and mushrooms and cook for 30 seconds, turn off the heat and remove the spinach mushroom mixture from the pan.
- Wipe out the pan and turn the heat back on to medium high, return patties to pan, layer with spinach mixture and top with cheese, put a lid on the pan and allow the accumulated heat to melt the cheese.
- Serve burgers with spread
- To make spread: combine all ingredients together in a bowl and spread on buns.