Grilled Caesar salad with lemon grilled chicken
May 3, 2021
For Chicken Marinade:
- 4 6 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning or oregano
- 4 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the Dressing:
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 olive oil-packed anchovy fillets
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (optional)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Salad:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 romaine hearts, halved lengthwise
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread
- shaved Parmesan and chopped chives, for garnish (optional)
- Marinate the chicken in all the ingredients for about 20 minutes and no more than 2 hours.
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients except olive oil and salt and pepper. Blend everything until mixed and then slowly drizzle in olive oil and mix until a thick dressing forms, taste, and season with salt and pepper as needed. Remember, the anchovies are salty, so you might not need to add any! You can also add parmesan cheese instead of salt for a different depth of flavor.
- Heat your grill to medium-high and grill chicken for about 3- 5 minutes on both sides or until the temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- Set the chicken aside while you grill the other ingredients.
- Combine the 3 tablespoons of olive oil with the garlic and some salt and pepper. Brush the mixture on the romaine hearts and bread. Grill romaine about 1- 2 minutes, each side or until lightly charred, and then repeat with the bread. Cut bread into bite-size, crouton pieces.
- To serve, slice chicken and serve on charred romaine with crouton pieces and dressing drizzled on top, garnish with shaved parmesan and chives if desired.