Creamy curried coconut black bean soup
January 26, 2021
- 2 teaspoons neutral oil like grape seed or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger
- 1 15-ounce can tomatoes, or 3 fresh Roma tomatoes
- 1-2 small red/ orange sweet potato (about 10- 12 oz), diced small, peel left on if organic, or 1 15 oz can
- of purées pumpkin
- 2 cups water or stock
- 1 14-oz can coconut milk, or 1 1/2 cups more water/ stock
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 cup cups chopped greens, or about 2 1/2 oz frozen spinach or kale defrosted
- salt to taste
- 1-2 limes juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- Steamed rice, preferably brown jasmine
- Shredded cooked chicken
1. Heat oil in a pot over medium high heat. Add curry powder into oil and sauté until fragrant.
2. Add onion, garlic, and ginger in pot and cook until onions begin to soften.
3. Add tomatoes, sweet potato or pumpkin, water, coconut milk, beans, cumin and turmeric into pot and bring to a boil.
4. Add broccoli into pot and cook until broccoli is soft, about 3 minutes.
5. Using an immersion blender blend soup to your desired consistency. You can also do it in small batches in your blender.
6. Bring mixture back to a boil, and add in greens, season to taste.
7. Squeeze lime juice on top before serving and serve with cilantro, rice and shredded chicken if desired.